Saturday, December 3, 2011

Last Kakae + Leaving Tanilou

So my family had a bigfala kakae or last kakae which is like our last meal and is a big feast and it just happens to be 11/25 which is Thanksgiving in America! My family went all out and we had laplap, chicken wings, sausage, pizza and tuluk (Vanuatu hot pocket but better). It was an awesome feast and even though we aren’t technically allowed to drink alcohol in the training village, there was plenty of red wine to go around as well. It was a great time and it really reminds me how much I’m going to miss this village and my host family, life here is just so different than America. No matter where you go someone asks where you’re going – and not because they’re nosy – but because they genuinely all care about you and are curious. It really is the happiest country in the world
Leaving Tanilou is bittersweet. On the one hand we're all really excited to go and start teaching and helping the people of Vanuatu and on the other hand a lot of us (myself included) really will miss our host families because they are so awesome and cook for us all the time!

I'm going to keep this post very short word wise and just show a bunch of photos which I think are a lot more enjoyable.

The spread..



On our way to Survivor Beach (where Survivor was filmed!)


It's really not too great







some girls in their island dresses for Thanksgiving








The incredible waet man kaeka (white man food)


That my friends is some real ice cream..

Red wine from France

My new buddy (see Dan?)

Zack who was commandeering a spear gun

Parrot fish not only look good but taste good

On our way to see a grave where a great Chief was laid to rest and his 50 wives were buried alive with him



Don't worry dan we ate them all



Place where the IT guys had their practicum



Allow me to translate: Please make sure that the door is locked all the time. After you use the room on top, lock the door and double check first that it's locked or not before you leave. Ta (short form of Ta ta, which is goodbye basically)


This is all my luggage, yes it's just mine. Yes I have more luggage than any other volunteer...you were right Nic haha.

Loading everything up


All the volunteers had to line up and the entire village went down the row and shook all of our hands and all did it while crying.



0 comments:

Post a Comment