Sunday, April 8, 2012

Teaching in Vanuatu

So the day finally came when spell was over and it was time for all the students to go back to school and for me to start being a teacher. Now we were told that sometimes school doesn’t always start on time, and this was not an understatement. First day of school? No kids show up. First week of school? No kids show up. Second week of school? Two students have shown up. When the third week of school rolled around the principal declared the school open and for classes to start. During this third week I just received my class schedule but the problem was, no one showed up for my class. Let me tell you when the students finally did start showing up, it was quite an experience. I’ve never taught in my life and to go from having some knowledge about computers to actually formally teach children was a big step up. It was somewhat scary at first but as I became more comfortable in my role of the teacher rather than the student which I’ve been for so many years, I grew more accustomed to it over time. It’s a pretty great experience and so far things are going well, but what you must know is that these kids are at a very basic level.

Now I know you may be thinking “What, they just learning how to use Microsoft Word?” Nope, sorry. These kids are from outer islands and some have never even seen a computer before. That’s right, that means I’m teaching them how to use a mouse, in a world where “click” is not in their vocabulary, pretty crazy.

My role here seems to be evolving, and fast. Not only am I an IT teacher, but an IT teacher trainer when I started holding sessions for the teachers who have also never used a computer before to start clicking and typing. It’s pretty incredible to be able to able to empower these people with the knowledge that they just didn’t have access to, to become more integrated with technology where they otherwise never would have received it. Not only that but soon I’m going to be working for an NGO called Save the Children to start teaching their staff how to use the Microsoft Office Suite to make their lives easier. Lastly I’ve become somewhat of a medical officer by offering advice such as, instead of wrapping that banana leaf around that deep gash in your leg, try this antibiotic.  Basically my role is ever changing and I must be ever adapting if I want to survive and thrive in this place which I think I’m doing well so far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment