Sunday, April 8, 2012

White Man Requests

Me being the token white man on the whole west side of the island, I get quite a few looks, but most of all requests, and really random ones at that. The other day a neighbor came by and asked me for my hair clippers so he could shave his head. I had to tell him I don’t have any, because well, I don’t have any. He then proceeded to ask me to help him write a budget for the school. I’ve no experience in doing this and told him I was not a business volunteer. Another day a random villager asked if I could help build a poultry farm because that’s what the last agriculture volunteer did so I had to explain to him that I just teach computers. The next day a random man came up to me to talk to me about a program he watched (I have no idea where because we don’t have TV’s) called “Building Scare”, now maybe some of you have heard about it but I certainly hadn’t but he proceeded to tell me that the US Navy goes around and helps building toilets for people. He then let me know that he wants help building toilets and if I could call the Navy later that day to arrange something that that would be great. It’s moments like that when you’re just at a total loss as to what to do or say. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment